Top safety tips for new homeowners in Amarillo
If you purchased your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and yours. You might be thinking about the many ways you can personalize your property with decor, paint, and furnishings. But, before you get too far, make sure you examine home security too. Keeping your loved ones safeguarded should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Amarillo.
Complete a safety check of your new Amarillo property
Now that you’re considering safety, discover what your new home already has. To begin, ensure you have operational smoke alarms. Try all of them and change batteries if required. Are CO detectors on site? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also a perfect time to replace door locks and investigate all locks on windows. Go room-by-room and get to know your new home.
Smart security tips for your Amarillo home
Once you’ve done your opening investigation of locks and safety alarms, you should think about improving your property’s safety. Begin with these security tips for your home in Amarillo.
- Invest in a modern home security system. One of the smartest tools for new homeowners in Amarillo is a home security system. The latest in wireless advancements let you keep an eye on your property even when you’re away. You can scan up-to-the-second video footage, control locking systems, and even communicate with people at your door right from your smartphone. You may custom-tailor your system with worthwhile security measures like surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Update outdoor lighting. Exterior lights with motion sensors are a great strategy in dissuading possible burglars. You might even incorporate them with surveillance cameras. When a motion sensor is set off, it can signal your video equipment to start recording.
- Keep your premises nicely groomed. Do you have a clear view of your property through your windows? Are there overgrown shrubs and trees blocking your view? Get rid of possible hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it also.
- Get to know folks in your community. Talking about your neighbors, get to know them. If you are friends with people around you, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll let you know if they see suspicious behavior. You can also get involved in your area’s social media page if one is established.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it seem like you’re home by turning on smart lighting at programmed times. This is a great option when you’re not there.